Friday, November 2, 2012

Redesign of Advertisement Reflection

           Going into the Redesign of Advertisement essay assignment, I thought I was going to struggle on writing about the three rhetoric appeals of pathos, ethos, and logos. I learned about the three rhetoric appeals during my high school years but I don't remember how to use any of them. In high school, I written all kinds of papers but I never had to write a paper using the rhetoric appeals of ethos, pathos, and logos.

           After looking at a bunch of advertisements in a Sports Illustrated Magazine, I was able to finally select a Coke Zero advertisement. I decided on the Coke Zero advertisement because it had a football theme to it and it was targeting towards people who enjoys and plays the sport of football. I also decided on the advertisement because I can redesign the whole advertisement and to make the advertisement target towards another audience.
           I came up with my idea for the redesign in my head while I was typing my essay. I stopped and think about the changes that will be made in the new advertisement. I didn't really sketch it out since I just kind of picture it in my mind while I was typing out my essay. I thought about the changes I could make in the new advertisement that will attract the new audience of young women.
           The challenges I face as I began the essay would be how to organize my paper so it flows well when it is being read and I had to figure out the three rhetoric appeals that were being used in my original advertisement and how to apply it into my new redesign advertisement. I overcome these challenges by asking Professor Rinke for help on the rhetoric appeals that I analyzed on my original advertisement. Once I learned how to explain the rhetoric appeals in my original advertisement, I apply it to my new redesign advertisement. I was able to organize my paper by writing an introduction first. Then talk about the original advertisement and the rhetoric appeals to it. Also later I talk about the new redesign advertisement as well as how the rhetoric appeals are being used. Lastly I wrap up my paper with a conclusion to summarize everything I wrote for my paper.
             What I like about writing this redesign advertisement paper was that I could write about how to create my new redesign in any way how I would like it as long as it is related to the Coke Zero product. I also liked about creating a new slogan and featuring a famous person like Michelle Obama to attract the new audience of women.
              I feel like I have a better understanding of the concepts of the rhetoric appeals ethos, pathos, and logos. Now I know how to apply to them in real life and in my writing. Knowing how to use these rhetoric appeals could help me write better for the papers I have to write in the future.
              If I was given a second chance at writing my redesign of advertisement essay, I definitely would've had someone from the writing center to look at it. Since I had 3 classes on that day, I wasn't able to find time in between classes to go to the writing center. By the time I got home it was already too late to e-mail my paper to Professor Rinke to check it out and have feedback on it. Also if I had another chance, I would've definitely found another advertisement that doesn't require me writing in the female perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment